Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Love & Mercy (2014)

Directed by Bill Pohlad
Written by Oren Moverman and Michael A. Lerner, based on the life of Brian Wilson
Starring John Cusack, Paul Dano, Elizabeth Banks and Paul Giamatti

In the 1960s, Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson struggles with emerging psychosis as he attempts to craft his avant-garde pop masterpiece. In the 1980s, he is a broken, confused man under the 24-hour watch of shady therapist Dr. Eugene Landy.


A film about a person I was unaware of from a band I don't particularly care for, yet somehow found myself deeply invested in his story. Being director Bill Pohlad's first film in the captain's chair since 1990, there was some obvious rust that he had to shake off, but did so all the while creating a heart wrenching story of a man trapped by his own illness.

With valiant performances from the entire cast, most notably Paul Dano and John Cusack, an unexpected problem arose. John Cusack is so impressive as the aging rock star that he distracts from the rest of the cast.

There was one scene in particular that was mostly shot over his shoulder to Elizabeth Banks. His reflection is scene out of focus just behind her, but I couldn't take my eyes off of his blurry face. His performance was so powerful that I was drawn to it, even when he was barely on screen.

Another thing that was obvious was Paul Dano's voice. He matched Brian Wilson's voice so well that I couldn't tell which scenes were Paul singing and which were the original recording.


The film, overall was decent. I had some issues with the editing, but most of you wouldn't even notice it if I pointed it out. The acting, of course was top notch and the story was beautifully tragic. I would definitely not call this one of the top ten movies of the year, but it is worth the watch.

My Rating: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment