Thursday, February 11, 2016

Deadpool (2016)

Directed by Tim Miller
Written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, based on characters by Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza
Starring Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, T.J. Miller and Ed Skrein


Quite understandably the most hyped up movie of any February since "The Passion of the Christ", "Deadpool" once seemed like the on superhero movie that would never be made. A character that revels in the macabre and a well placed dick joke seemed like a sure bust to a industry that kills creativity just to make the sacred PG-13 cut.

But Ryan Reynolds wasn't having it. While I'm sure he'd still deny it (unless he has already admitted and I'm just misinformed), we all know he released that animated footage on the internet. And fan girls and boys squealed at the very notion that there was someone who was even thinking about making a movie.

Cut to February 12th, 2016, and it's finally here.

Ladies….

This movie was exactly as I thought it'd be. Snarky, yet hilarious comments from the films protagonist, mixed with fourth-wall breaks and unforgiving violence. It delivered fully on all fronts and did not disappoint. 

However, despite that R-rating, it still felt produced by Disney. It's hard to explain, but even through it's unique qualities that made it stand out from the rest of the Marvel Universe, it seemed just as formulaic and flat.

Before y'all go and bite my head off, I liked it. I liked it quite a bit. But if I never see it again, I won't be disappointed. It didn't feel as though it would offer anything more from the loyalty of a repeat viewer. And even through the refreshing dialogue from the lovable asshole that is Wade Wilson, I felt as though I had seen it before in all of the other Marvel movies.

Yeah, Yeah… I know, Mr. Pool

This of course is of no fault to the movie or it's filmmakers. I just have lost all interest in Superhero movies since the second Incredible Hulk movie. They all seem the same to me and really don't provide me with any worthwhile entertainment. For the 90+ minutes, I remain entertained and locked on the screen. But when I walk away, nothing has changed for me. 

Granted, that's how I feel with most popular movies. I just feel the overall hype around superhero films drains me of any energy that could go into loving them more.

All that being said, go see "Deadpool". I know most of you are more normal than I am and will love it. I'll just join the old people in the next screening of "Macbeth".

What the hell is wrong with me?

My Rating: 6/10





No comments:

Post a Comment