Sunday, January 3, 2016

Joy (2015)

Directed by David O. Russell
Written by David O. Russell
Story by Ann Mumolo and David O. Russell
Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Nero, Edgar Ramírez and Bradley Cooper


When you view a trailer for the first time, you instantly get an expectation for a film. There is no avoiding it. That expectation can either help or hurt your opinion of the film in question, should you choose to buy a ticket or rent it when it’s released.



My exact expectation for David O. Russell’s “Joy” was that of familiarity. But not in a positive sense. I had loved his rock star cast of Bradley Cooper, Robert De Nero and Jennifer Lawrence in 2012’s “Silver Lining’s Playbook”. It had spoken to me in a way David O. Russell was unable to do with his previous films. Then when “American Hustle” came out one year later with the same rock star cast, I was left disappointed. But more importantly I was left with a major sense of annoyance and boredom. Somehow, Russell had failed to hit any mark that made “Silver Lining’s Playbook” a success in my mind. And no Oscar nomination was going to change my opinion of that.

So, six months ago, when I saw the first trailer for “Joy”, I just rolled my eyes. Same actors playing seemingly the same characters for the same director. Perhaps this initial thought ultimately helped me enjoy his third film with this rock star cast.

Joy tells the story of a single mother of two, who has found herself as the only financial and emotional support her family has. Unhappy with her life and feeling as if she is in a downward spiral, she begins pursuing the idea for an invention. Consumed by her new passion, she attempts to claw herself out of the rut life has thrown her into as everything around her tries to get in her way.

As I sat in the theater, waiting for the feature to begin, my expectation was to see a film much like “American Hustle”. A flat, uneventful, boring film with undoubtedly great acting. But ultimately a movie I would not enjoy, regardless of it’s quality performances. This is where poor expectations for a film can actually help.

What was presented to be instead was a story with significantly more character depth than initially anticipated and a story more relatable than I imagined after the short two minutes and change trailer. This was a story of strength and perseverance. A self made woman trying to reclaim her own life from those who had inadvertently taken control of it.


As always is the case with David O. Russell, in any of his films, good or bad, amazing performances drove this picture and added depth in unexpected places. Jennifer Lawrence, while more subdued and natural than her two previous films with the acclaimed director, proved to be a powerhouse that could carry the entire film.

While I would not go so far as to say that this is one of the best films of the year (although it could be nominated), and isn’t even in my personal top ten of 2015, this film exceeded my expectations. And caused me to utter three words that I rarely say regarding movies.

I was wrong.


My Rating: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment