Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (2016)

Directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa
Written by Robert Carlock, based on the book "The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan" by Kim Barker
Starring Tina Fey, Margot Robbie, Martin Freeman and Christopher Abbott

Feeling trapped by her mundane desk journalism job, Kim Baker (changed for some reason) makes a decision to find more adventure in her life by taking a position as a war journalist in Afghanistan.


On the surface, due to a misleading advertisement, this would appear to be just another situational comedy. When I first viewed the trailer, I perceived it as one of those standard comedies that takes a slightly interesting setting and plot and inserts sex and drug jokes in an attempt to seek tickets, but overall not accomplish much as a film. Fortunately for this film, it was surprisingly more delicate than that.

From the get-go, it is apparent what kind of film this will be. With an opening scene showing how hectic her life in Afghanistan would be in just three years, the directors then cut to the chronological beginning of the protagonists story as an incredible example of juxtaposition. Tina Fey masterfully captures the essence of her character and puts it on display right away.


I was quite surprised with how unfunny this movie was. But I was even more surprised that I didn't mind. It was more complex and gratifying than I could have predicted and kept me engaged throughout.

With several themes, including the morality of journalism, the dangers of the addiction to conflict and moving forward in your life no matter what happens, it is safe to say this is the most unexpected important film in this young year.

Much of my opinion of this film comes from expecting very little from it. Had I gone in expecting greatness, I might have a completely different opinion. But that's not to say it's not a good movie. It's a hell of a lot better than I expected it to be.

My Rating: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment