Thursday, March 3, 2016

Zootopia (2016)

Directed by Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Jared Bush
Written by Way too many people to list… Like seriously, too many people. Come on Disney! Calm Down!
Starring Ginnifer Goodwin, Jason Bateman, Idris Elba and Jenny Slate

In a city of anthropomorphic animals, a fugitive con artist fox and a rookie bunny cop must work together to uncover a conspiracy.



Going into the theater, what I was expecting was a fun, clever and heartwarming story about some animals who think they're people. And that expectation was delivered, as promised. However, what I was not expecting was the blatant, yet incredibly important social commentary about prejudices and mob mentality.

"Zootopia" proved to be a more meaningful family film than anticipated. It is quite possibly the most vital animated film in history. It is more than just a self-confidence building film that Disney is mostly known for. It is about more than just accepting yourself. It is also about accepting others and not judging people because of their heritage.

The middle act of the film was so intense and topical that it feels as though this is the perfect time for this story to be shared with children. It perfectly mirrors much of the hate being spread right now and I was pleasantly shocked at how mature the themes were. But perhaps I'm over thinking it.


Great thematic elements aside, this film provided me with many laughs and a great couple of hours of entertainment. It is a fun movie that I feel the entire family will enjoy and it is incredibly clever. It is rare that I find a Disney movie lives up to it's hype. I feel most people are blinded by the "magic". But this is one that did not disappoint.

My Rating: 7/10




No comments:

Post a Comment