Thursday, February 26, 2015

Believe Me (2014)

Directed by Will Bakke
Written by Michael B. Allen and Will Bakke
Starring Alex Russell, Zachary Knighton, Johanna Brady and Miles Fisher

Four fraternity brothers in need of cash to pay off various bills create a fraudulent faith-based non-profit organization. They find themselves in over their heads when they agree to tour with a much larger missionary organization and are asked to preach the faith they don't believe in.


Before I get started on this review, know that my opinion may very well not be yours when it comes to this movie. While not an entirely religious film to the likes of Kirk Cameron, this does have heavy Christian themes to it. And I know due to that, not everyone will enjoy it as much as I did.

That being said, this does right in what every other faith-based movie does wrong. It creates real, imperfect characters. Characters who either struggle with their faith or have none at all and are the protagonists, rather than the supporting characters the protagonists try to persuade to turn to God.

That in itself is the reason I love this movie. Having grown up and being raised by a Pastor, I have seen a lot of Christian movies. And most of them are terrible. Their characters are too perfect and never question their faith. This starts with imperfect and frankly, terrible people and focus on them in a faith based world.

Just terrible, terrible people.

Filled with jokes that church going people will find funnier than non-church-goers (see image below), it is truly a movie made for Christians who are tired of faith-based movies making us all look bad (I'm looking at you, Kevin Sorbo!). I'm not confident everyone will enjoy this movie. But I'm pretty sure most Christians will.

Jesus Jesus
Jesus Jesus
x16

My Rating: 7.5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment