Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 (2015)

Directed by Steve Pink
Written by Josh Heald
Starring Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, Clark Duke and Adam Scott

The second installment of the franchise follows the gang (minus John Cusack) as they travel in time to try to stop Lou's killer from getting to him. Now they have to alter their future, to save them in the past - which is really the present…


I will never forget when I first saw this movies predecessor. This was back in the days of 35mm projection in movie theaters. I was working at a theater and we had a screening for the employee for this movie. The screening went on without a hitch. We all thought it was disappointing and we went home. The next day, we discovered that the projectionist forgot to add one of the five 20-minute reels to the print. And none of us noticed the night before.

That to me summed the first movie up perfectly. It had it's funny moments, sure. But all-in-all, it was so poorly thought out, that we literally had cut twenty minutes out of the middle and couldn't even tell something was missing.

The similarities between young Lou and Adam and old Lou
and Adam were the most impressive parts.

The sequel to the 2010 movie is no different. It does have it's funny moments. And the ideas they have of the further are pretty cool. But it's just not what it could be. Maybe I take my comedies too seriously, but this could have definitely been a lot funny and more outrageous. I mean, with a movie that is called something as ridiculous as "Hot Tub Time Machine", you think they would have pushed the envelope with the lunacy a bit more. They stayed too safe in my opinion.

And the fact that Chevy Chase came back for this movie, but stopped doing "Community" because he didn't think it was funny just proves to me he doesn't know what funny is. And that is probably why Bill Murray once called him a "medium talent".

My Rating: 3/10



No comments:

Post a Comment