Saturday, February 14, 2015

Oscar Best Picture Nominee: American Sniper

With the Oscars coming up in a little over a week, I decided I would take these next few days to discuss my opinions of the Best Picture nominees.

"American Sniper"
Directed by Clint Eastwood
Written by Jason Hall
Based on book of the same name by Chris Kyle with Scott McEwan and James Delfelice
Starring Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller, Jake McDorman and Sammy Sheik

The story of the most lethal sniper in American history, Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, this film tells the story of tours in Iraq and his struggles with PTSD, in possibly one of the most honest films about the struggles of an American Soldier.


Before I get started, I'm going to get all the political controversy out of the way. I personally didn't agree with the Iraq War. I never understood why we were there, and I was glad when the troops were removed. What I think is messed up is people using this movie as an example for why we shouldn't have been there. This is not a story about the Iraq War. This is the story of ONE MAN and his experiences in the war so many people didn't agree with.

People are saying that this film glorifies war. Unless you think death is awesome and seeing your friend get shot in the face is a sign of a great day, I don't see how this glorifies war at all. And if you do think that it glorifies war, maybe you should see a psychiatrist, because something is clearly wrong with you.

If you actually paid any attention to the film, he didn't want to keep going back to kill more Iraqi's. He wanted to keep going back because he felt guilty for stranding them out there and not being able to have any say in their fate. I don't know many veterans that have served in wars like this one, but the ones I do know, I can tell you that that feeling was mutual between many of them. It's not about a desire to kill, it's about a desire to try to save your friends.

Rant over. Now to discuss the movie.

Overall, I think this is a powerful film. Whether you agree with the war or not, or whether you think it portrayed Chris Kyle "too humanely" (which I think is ludicrous that someone would even say that) it is undeniably a powerful film. Do I think it is Best Picture worthy? No. But I don't get to vote on it, so that doesn't really matter.

While it is compelling, it didn't feel like it took any risks. To me, risks are a major factor for the Best Picture category. You cannot progress an industry without taking risks. But that is something I feel has been a problem with the Academy for quite sometime. Very few of the nominees this year take risks.

It was a very standard story. And while it was a side of a soldiers life many of us haven't seen in person, they didn't focus too much time on the subject.

I know it's confusing when I say this was a remarkable film, then turn around and say it isn't best picture worthy. But you have to remember, I see an obscene amount of movies. And many of them are much more impressive than this.

And I just want to ask Clint Eastwood what was so hard about getting a real baby?

And that is why Mr. Eastwood wasn't
nominated for Best Director

My Rating: 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment