Thursday, April 30, 2015

Adult Beginners (2014)

Directed by Ross Katz
Written by Jeff Cox and Liz Flahive, based on the story by Nick Kroll
Starring Nick Kroll, Rose Byrne, Bobby Cannavale and Joel McHale

A young, narcissistic entrepreneur crashes and burns on the eve of his company's big launch. With his entire life in total disarray, he leaves Manhattan to move in with his estranged pregnant sister, brother-in-law and 3-year-old nephew in the suburbs - only to become their nanny.


The ambition of Nick Kroll in his first starring roll is well placed with this film. In a performance with more layers than I thought he was capable of displaying, this is a refreshing change of pace from his hilarious but over the top skit show. His dry line delivery worked for his character and made for some big laughs on my part, but it is definitely a humor that not everyone will enjoy.

Tragedy is the foundation for the laughter in this film. But it is also the base of the heart as well. There are so many elements of this story that are easy to connect with and throughout the movie I saw myself and my sister in Nick Kroll and Rose Byrne.


I can totally get behind the lesson of the importance of family in this movie. It is something that I learned very early on and see so many people struggle with every day. While it might not be a perfect movie, it certainly has it's charm. It's definitely worth checking out.

My Rating: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment