Friday, April 3, 2015

Pitch Perfect (2012)

Directed by Jason Moore
Written by Kay Cannon based on the book by Mickey Rapkin
Starring Anna Kendrick, Brittany Snow, Rebel Wilson and Skylar Astin

Beca, a reclusive freshman at Barden University with dreams of becoming a music producer, is cajoled into joining The Bellas, her school’s all-girls singing group. The Bellas take on their male rivals in a campus competition.


I have to admit, from the time this movie came out up until this very week, I avoided this movie like the plague. For me, the whole competitive A Cappella, “Glee” inspired fad is so tired. Everyone and their mothers and their mother’s mothers have attempted an A Cappella based show or movie. So naturally, I was skeptical to watch it. But I did. And it wasn’t as bad as I imagined. However, that’s the highest compliment I can give it.

I am nowhere near the key demographic for this movie, so please take everything I say about it with a grain of salt. It wasn’t good. It wasn’t terrible. It was…OK. Many of the jokes were poorly executed or felt incredibly forced.

However, I will say that the jokes that did land for me, landed very well and had me laughing harder than I ever thought I would watching this movie. In particular, everything Lilly Okanakamura said was on point.

All in all, I’m glad I watched it. I may not have loved it quite as much as some people I know, but it was an enjoyable movie and now I have some idea of what to expect from the sequel. It had great songs and fun characters who all had unique personalities, which is definitely not something I expected. It just goes to show you that sometimes a movie can take you by surprise.

My Rating: 6.5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment