Sunday, May 3, 2015

I Saw the Devil (2010)

Directed by Jee-Woon Kim
Written by Hoon-jung Park
Starring Byung-hun Lee, Min-sik Choi, In-seo Kim and Yoon-seo Kim

A secret agent seeks revenge on the serial killer who killed his pregnant fiancee by capturing him, torturing him and releasing him, only to hunt him down and do it all over again.


Korean-revenge movies have got to be my favorite genre of movies. Not only do they have the satisfaction of American-revenge films, but they are also significantly more intricate and thought out. It's not just shoot-em-up action, like Hollywood's stories. They are designed to mess with your psyche.

"I Saw the Devil" is an intense, bloody, action-packed thrill ride. It brings the term "cat-and-mouse" to a whole other level. Two men hell bent on destroying each others lives with nothing to lose and no lines to cross.

Min-sik Choi ("Oldboy") is as brilliant as ever in his role has the ruthless serial killer. He commands every scene he is in and exceeds all expectations I had for him in this film. He is intimidating and irredeemably evil, yet his presence makes it next to impossible to look away.


This is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. There is so much going on and so many twists and turns that it just grabbed me in the first minute and didn't let go until the credits were rolling. It is movies like this that keep me going with this movie-a-day challenge. These diamonds in the rough make watching all of those bad or painfully mediocre movies worth it. Just seeing one of these a month keeps me going.

My Rating: 9/10



No comments:

Post a Comment