Saturday, May 23, 2015

They Came Together (2014)

Directed by David Wain
Written by Michael Showalter and David Wain
Starring Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler, Cobie Smulders, Bill Hader and Ellie Kemper

When a couple on a double date tells their friends the story of how they met, they realize the whole thing sounds like a corny romantic comedy movie… 'cause it is.


I don't understand how anyone could dislike this movie. Everywhere I look, I see poor ratings for it. It's as if people think making fun of cliched romantic comedies is a bad thing! This takes everything you hate about date movies, amplifies them and forces you to love them through laughter.

Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler nail the overplayed protagonist couple that need to overcome their difference to come together (OH SHIT! That's the name of the movie!). This is the kind of satirical comedy that has been missing from the Wayans' parody movies since "Scary Movie 2". And it is beautiful.


There were times during this movie that I laughed so hard, I was afraid I would wake up my neighbors. It is a clever movie with brilliant performances from actors who knew exactly what director David Wain was trying to accomplish. Everyone was one the same page throughout this movie. Even the brilliant cameo appearances were on point.

My Rating: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment