Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Maze Runner (2014)

Directed by Wes Ball
Written by Noah Oppenheim, Grant Pierce Myers, T. S. Nowlin, based on the novel by James Dashner
Starring Dylan O'Brien, Aml Ameen, Ki Hong Lee, Blake Cooper, Will Poulter and Kaya Scodelario

Thomas is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "runners" for a shot at escape.


In a world plagued by mediocre to terrible young adult, post apocalyptic, Lord of the Flies-esque movies, where for some reason teenagers are the only people that can save the world, "The Maze Runner" sticks out among them. 

At least in the first film, the main plot isn't overshadowed with a will they, won't they romance. It is straight and to the point and doesn't play any games, even when a female character is introduced (Which unfortunately makes me think that all of what I just said will change in the next film).

It is also not filled with several plot holes, rendering the entire story unlikely like others in it's genre. It is a solid, coherent story that explains, or promises to explain everything in later films. Supported by several actors who are unknown to the average movie goer (not me of course), I found the story to be more immersing than "The Hunger Games" or "Divergent" which are filled with A-list actors.


Really, the only complaint I have about this movie was the protagonist. Thomas' plan was so solid and made so much sense that it made the character of Gally just seem like a stubborn bully who was backed into a corner. His defiance to the plan and everyone who sided with Thomas seemed immature in a world where even the youngest of characters were logically thinking human beings.

Despite this slight annoyance, the filmmakers did a great job at keeping the tempo up. There was seldom a dull moment. And the action scenes were nail biters where I legitimately didn't know what was going to happen, unlike it's more popular counterparts which are extremely predictable.

I didn't have much hope for this movie while it was in theaters. Which is why I waited until now to watch it. But it surprised me. It was much better than I anticipated and it got me more excited for the next one. "Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials" opens in theaters September 18th.

My Rating: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment