Monday, May 18, 2015

Life of Crime (2013)

Written and Directed by Daniel Schechter
Based on the book "The Switch" by Elmore Leonard
Starring John Hawkes, Jennifer Aniston, Yasiin Bey and Tim Robbins

Two common criminals get more than they bargained for after kidnapping the wife of a corrupt real-estate developer who shows no interest in paying the $1 million dollar ransom for her safe return.


This quirky heist comedy, complete with a star studded cast doesn't particularly stand out in the sea of other films like it. In fact, the entire time I was watching it, I felt as though I had already seen it, despite knowing for a fact that I hadn't. However, regardless of any cliché or overplayed thematic elements, it achieves the ultimate goal of every movie. It entertained me.

All of the performances were believable and the chemistry between the actors was strong. Every plot point, line of dialogue and detail put in to the story flowed naturally onto the screen. And as a bonus, it was pretty funny. It played much like a low-key version of the "Ocean's Eleven" movies.


All in all, Daniel Schechter delivers a solid, enjoyable movie. It may fail to make itself memorable to the average movie goer and I'm not even sure if I will remember it in detail further down the road. But for the hour and forty minutes I was watching this movie, I was engaged. And there are more movies than I care to mention that couldn't do that.

My Rating: 6/10



No comments:

Post a Comment