Thursday, May 21, 2015

Tomorrowland (2015)

Directed by Brad Bird
Written by Damon Lindelof and Brad Bird & Jeff Jensen
Starring George Clooney, Britt Robertson, Raffey Cassidy and Hugh Laurie

Bound by a shared destiny, a teen bursting with scientific curiosity and a former boy-genius inventor embark on a mission to unearth the secrets of a place somewhere in time and space that exists in their collective memory.


From the very beginning, it is painfully obvious that this film was created for the purpose is selling tickets to Disney World/Land. It felt as though Brad Bird was forced to remind people that this was in fact a Disney movie continuously throughout. Because of this, it was often hard to watch.

Regardless of it's forceful advertising, much of it was fun and even humorous at certain points. Particularly the actress who played the Casey Newton had superb comedic timing and had a great rapport with George Clooney.

The inventions and visions of the future weren't particularly impressive. Everything was either just an improvement of a device already in existence, or just so unbelievable that even in my wildest dreams, I feel would be impossible. It didn't inspire me as I'm sure was the intention. Rather, it made me role my eyes in disbelief. Or at the very most, say "that'd be cool if it were possible".

There is no way a metropolis would be surrounded by that much wheat.

Regardless of all of the problems I had with it, I did enjoy it. I'd probably even see it again if a friend of mine wanted to go. I just felt like the message of "hope fixes all" was a bit forced and very painfully Disney. Perhaps I'm too cynical. But I just couldn't handle the cheese!

My Rating: 6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment