Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Written and Directed by Steven Spielberg
Starring Richard Dreyfus, Melinda Dillon, François Truffaut and Bob Balaban

After an encounter with U.F.O.s, a line worker feels undeniably drawn to an isolated area of the wilderness where something spectacular is about to happen.


I know what you're thinking. "How have you not seen this, Mike?!" Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy. There are over a million movies in this world, and I have seen a great deal that you haven't. So cut me some slack, Jack!

Even 38 years later, this movie is still impressive, if not more so. The main thing I love about movies before CGI is the ingenuity people had to go through to get the shot they wanted. That was and is the brilliance of great film makers. These days it's easy to say "we'll use CGI" instead of creating a practical effect and that, to me is boring.

I think the main thing I loved about this film was just how different it is from all other alien contact movies. In an industry that shoves the fear of alien abductions down your throat at every chance they get, this was a movie that approached the idea of Extra-terrestrials not with fear, but with scientific curiosity. When every one could have turned and ran the other way, they all stood dumbfounded and intrigued.

…Dumbfounded…

I have never seen an alien encounter movie like this. They didn't even have the government try to capture them using excessive force. Just a little force. Nothing serious. It is truly unique and leaves you wanting to learn more about the visitors. Which is what I'm sure Spielberg was going for.

My Rating: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment