Saturday, March 28, 2015

Rudderless (2014)

Directed by William H. Macy
Written by Casey Twenter, Jeff Robinson and William H. Macy
Starring Billy Crudup, Anton Yelchin, Felicity Huffman and Laurence Fishburne

A grieving father in a downward spiral stumbles across a box of his recently deceased son' demo tapes and lyrics. Shocked by the discovery of his unknown talent, he forms a band in the hop of finding some catharsis.


I'm really struggling to find a way to write this review that doesn't contain any spoilers. There is so much I want to say about this film that needs context to explain, but said context would involve me giving away so much of the emotional impact of this movie. So if you watch this movie, please please PLEASE let me know so we can discuss it.

This is William H Macy's feature film directorial debut and he hit a home run. This movie has everything that makes a great movie. The acting, the writing and the social context all make for a intensely emotional film on both ends of the spectrum. Not only that, but it is topped off with incredible original songs that rival the world's most famous musician's and is actually performed by the cast!


There is still so much I want to tell you about, but I know it will only ruin you experience watching it if I do. Do yourself a favor. Watch it and come talk to me so we can discuss it! I'm dead serious! Since I can't say what I want to about this movie, I'll just leave you with one of the amazing songs in it.


My Rating: 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment